23rd Streetscaping Project
The Nebraska Department of Transportation will rebuild the road due to:
- 30-years of deterioration
- Distressed and poor condition
- Substantial ruts and cracking
The City wants to:
- Improve the infrastructure
- Move traffic and pedestrians more safely and efficiently along 23rd Street
- Provide durable and maintainable landscapes
- Create a sense of community pride
Overview of construction planned for 2022- 2023
- Remove/replace existing pavement
- Add turning lane and geometric modifications at intersections
- Rebuild sidewalks, curb ramps, curb inlets, storm serves
- Update roadway lighting and traffic signals
- Add streetscaping elements
The Chamber's Interests
- Streets represent our community; 23rd Street is our "doorway" to families, CEOs, tourists, future employees.
- Around 100 businesses are located along the nearly 3-mile route.
- Between 14k and 26k cars travel 23rd Street daily.
- Businesses on treescaped streets show up to 12% higher income streams
- Green spaces, trees, and special lighting instill pride in our community and beautify our intersections, sidewalks, and streets.
- The project enhances Columbus's part of the historic Lincoln Highway.
- Pinnacle Bank- $2,500
- Cornerstone Bank- $2,500
- First National Bank- $2,500
- Great Plains State Bank- $2,500
- Keep Columbus Beautiful- $5,000
- Columbus Area Chamber of
- Commerce $5,000
- Columbus Community Foundation- $24,000
*Additional Resources Are Needed
The City's Investment
- The city is investing millions in infrastructure (water, sewer, electrical, etc.).
- As well as $500,000 in streetscaping.
The Chamber's Support
- The Streetscaping Committee is securing funding for additional streetscaping amenities to complement the City's investment.
- Keep Columbus Beautiful will serve as the fiscal agent and collect the funds to be paid to the city for additional streetscaping elements.
$100k-$125k MoreWill add
- 14 additional backlit street signs ($24k)
- 210 additional trees ($66k)
- Additional planters and benches ($35k)
Additional FundsThe Chamber is also seeking...
- Business Contributions
- Campaign Pledges
- Corporate Donations
- Potential Sponsors